Remote Gear Support ..

Craig A. Haney craig at icp.net
Wed Sep 2 19:58:22 UTC 1992

> We are currently evaluating a cheap terminal server to replace the COS for
> our out-of-band access.  Lantronix makes a TS for about $1200 (Univ price).
> Although a bit more expensive then the COS, it provides much more flexibility
> (like begin able to telnet to dumb async devices when the network is up,
> and being able to have multiple sessions going which makes realtime debugging
> of problems easier).   I would be interested if anyone knows of any cheaper
> TS out there.
>
> 	Tom

About this time last year I was using the Lantronix and Hughes/CMC
terminal Server. The Lantronix was advertised as able to do many
different type of connectivity, but I didn't like the support and
the performance and quality were not as good as the Hughes.
I had good field support and ROM upgrades.
The software which came with the Lantronix was buggy. Then
again it was trying to run on an AT&T 3B2 600G (oh my!).

craig at icp.net
703 904 2084