RS/960 upgrade ... status report

William Manning bmanning at is.rice.edu
Fri May 1 14:02:52 UTC 1992

yakov at watson.ibm.com

> Ref:  Your note of Fri, 1 May 92 7:12:54 CDT
>
> BGPv2 spec has the following text on the NEXT_HOP subject:
> "The NEXT_HOP path attribute defines the IP address of the
> border router that should be used as the next hop to the
> networks listed in the UPDATE message. This border router
> must belong to the same AS as the BGP peer that advertises it."
>
> BGPv2 spec requires checking NEXT_HOP ONLY for correct syntax
> (i.e., NEXT_HOP should carry a syntactically valid IP address).
>
> There is no specified timeout between consecutive BGP close and
> open.
>
> Yakov.

So, let me get this straight. What is POSSIBLE in version two
is prohibited in version four in regards to NEXT_HOP. The
latest ANS rcp_routed started enforcing version four semantics.

I can not find where this was make public knowledge. Sigh...

It also seems clear that a recommendation of how to compute
interval times between BGP close and open would be useful for
addition to either the BGPv4 or IDPR spec.
--
Regards,
Bill Manning         bmanning at rice.edu        PO Box 1892