Sprint/Cornell ICMnet Transition Report

Bob Collet rcollet at icm1.icp.net
Thu Jun 4 16:25:47 UTC 1992

Sprint/Cornell ICMnet Transition Progress report

SPRINTLINK:

Sprint and Cornell University are proceding forward with the transition of
NOC duties from Ithaca to Sprint's SprintLink NOC in Herndon, VA.  A key
element in the transition has been the establishment of a fully functional
SprintLink national backbone.  The backbone is now connected to the CIX; and
it is connected  to FIX-E via Sprint "ICMNET2."  It will also soon be
connected to FIX-W via Sprint ICMNET3.

The routing within this complex arrangement could not have been accomplished
without the help of Mr. Peter Lothberg, SWIPnet/NORDUnet,  who assured end-to-
end routing integrity from NSFNET and SprintLink's CIX connection to the
Sprint EBS1 router in Stockholm where the connection to EBONE is made.

NSFNET-EBONE:

768 kbps service (ICMNET2) is now operational between FIX-E and Stockholm. It
utilizes a path which bypasses an outage-prone PTT facility in the
Netherlands.  The 256 kbps service (ICMNET1) between Ithaca and Stockholm is
in the process of being taken down.  We expect this coordinated effort
between Sprint and SWIPnet/NORDUnet to be accomplished in early July.

NSFNET-JIX

On Friday, June 5, the ICMnet link (ICMNET3) from the Japanese Internet
eXchange (JIX) in Tokyo to the Sprint ICMnet router at FIX-W will be
transitioned to Sprint NOC management. This effort has been coordinated with
NACSIS.

NSFNET-INRIA:

In conjunction with INRIA, we are planning to transition the 128 kbps Cornell-
Sophia-Antipolis, France service (ICMNET1) within the month.

NSFNET-LATIN AMERICA AND CARRIBBEAN

When the transition of Cornell-homed circuits is completed the Sprint ICMnet
equipment (router, channel bank, etc) at Cornell will be relocated to the Pan
Amsat VSAT earth station in Homestead, Florida for the purpose of providing
NSFNET connectivity to the Latin American and Carribbean community as
discussed at the First Interamerican Networking Workshop held October 7-11 in
Rio de Janeiro.  It will also provide connectivity within the LAC community.
We expect the service to be operational before the end of August.

Please advise if there are any concerns or questions.

Bob

| Robert D. Collet                                        |
| Principal Investigator,                                 |
| NSFnet International Connections Manager (ICM)          |
| Program Manager, SprintLink                             |
| Sprint Communications Company                           |
| Government Systems Division                             |
| 13221 Woodland Park Road                                |
| Herndon, Virginia, 22071  USA                           |
| Tel: +1-703-904-2230                                    |
| Fax: +1-703-904-2119                                    |
| Pager: +1-800-SKY-PAGE   PIN: 45469                     |
| email:  rcollet at icm1.icp.net                            |
|       or                                                |
|         rcollet at sprint.com                              |