The CIX and the NSFNET regionals - a dilemma

Martin Lee Schoffstall schoff at psi.com
Tue Feb 11 17:05:20 UTC 1992

 Marty,
 > Actually I was proposing that this be handled outside of setting TOS
 > bits, but I wasn't clear.   basically if I own a router from cisco today
 > i can prioritize my interface traffic using the "priority-list" command.
 > i select by protocol.  Could that concept be built on to give me per
 > port control over my routing in the future?  who knows.

 	What you're trying to do is basically what TOS does: choose your
 outgoing path based on whether the application is most concerned about
 delay, throughput, or whatever.

yes.

 	When a host doesn't set any TOS bits, a router could conceivably
 then peek into the packet to look at TCP ports as part of computing the next
 hop.  However, a router that did so would probably still want to leverage
 off of the TOS mechanism by using the TCP ports to determine what TOS bits
 the host should (according to Host Requirements) have set.

agreed.  the router could send a ICMP SET_YOUR_TOS_BIT,_DUMMY to the
host.   ;-)