The CIX and the NSFNET regionals - a dilemma

Martin Lee Schoffstall schoff at psi.com
Wed Feb 5 21:53:06 UTC 1992

 Marty,
 > Leveraging off another posting elsewhere, I was wondering how hard it
 > would be for cisco to change their architecture to have multiple routing
 > tables and slightly modify their protocol prioritization scheme so that
 > telnet/rlogin is not just prioritized but goes out a different path
 > (specifically the CIX path).

 	In general, TOS support in routers is pretty easy, though it may not
 be in Cisco's case depending on how they designed their fast switching
 stuff.  In theory, of course, Cisco is adding TOS support since they are
 adding OSPF and TOS is a part of OSPF, but I don't know whether theory
 matches practice in this case (it doesn't in the case of some other OSPF
 vendors).

Actually I was proposing that this be handled outside of setting TOS
bits, but I wasn't clear.   basically if I own a router from cisco today
i can prioritize my interface traffic using the "priority-list" command.
i select by protocol.  Could that concept be built on to give me per
port control over my routing in the future?  who knows.

Marty