new template.net form...

Piet.Beertema at mcsun.EU.net Piet.Beertema at mcsun.EU.net
Thu Aug 20 09:42:54 UTC 1992

Comment about the (new) NACR template:

                    ---- Network Announcement Change Request ----

     The networks which request access to the NSFNET backbone agree that traffic
     from the networks that will transit the NSFNET backbone comply with the
	  ^^^
     "NSFNET BACKBONE SERVICES ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY" dated June 1992.

The leading "The" unequivocally denotes the networks
for which the NACR is submitted, but the marked "the"
can equally well denote the networks in the NACR as
"networks that will transit the NSFNET backbone" in
general. Since the latter in general is not under the
control of the networks mentioned in the NACR, this
"the" should be replaced by "these".
I spotted this quite some time ago already and I'm
consistently using "these" in my NACR's, but sofar
I just forgot to notify you. Sorry for that.
And to get even more picky ;-) note that the word
"comply" stands for the traffic, not the networks,
and thus should be "complies" or "will comply" (the
latter wording is better, since no one can be 100%
sure, one can always try the best and make a promise).

All in all this leads to the suggestion to change
the text into:

    The following networks, which request access to the NSFNET backbone,
    agree that traffic from these networks that will transit the NSFNET
    backbone will comply with the "NSFNET BACKBONE SERVICES ACCEPTABLE
    USE POLICY" dated June 1992.

	Piet