March NSFNET T1 Usage by Service

jaw jaw
Wed Apr 1 18:36:53 UTC 1992

Olivier,

The use of NNStat for statistics collection on the T1 backbone has
not been disabled at any point of entry.  Ultimately, drastically
differing in and out counts are not unusual.  On average, 27% of
the packets and 50% of the bytes are from ftp:

	Jan 1992	28% packets	50% bytes
	Feb 1992	27% packets	50% bytes
	Mar 1992	29% packets	52% bytes

Using the net primarily for ftp will appear as a small amount of
traffic into the backbone and a significantly larger traffic
volume out.

Washington University at St. Louis (MO) exhibits a similar
statistical measurement:

                        Pkts (millions)		Bytes (billions)

			IN      OUT		IN       OUT

	Dec 1991	294	157		126	 12
	Jan 1992	332	212		139	 17
	Feb 1992	338	214		142	 17

Perennially, they are the 1st or 2nd highest volume net on the NSFNET,
apparently due to a very large PC archive accessed primarily via ftp.
Similar numbers are noted with other high volume nets.  It's not
surprising that other nets will show the reverse of this IN/OUT
volume relationship.

We hope this information helps explain your concerns.  Please let
us know if we might provide further clarification.

With sincere apologies for the delay in sending
this information on to you, and thanks to Susan
Horvath for her analysis and review,

                         Jo Ann Ward
                         Merit/NSFNET Information Services

 Message: 12625724, 33 lines