[NANOG-announce] NANOG College Immersion Program

Dave Temkin dave at temk.in
Fri Sep 26 14:24:41 UTC 2014

I'm excited to announce that for NANOG 63 in San Antonio that we will begin
the NANOG College Immersion Program. This program aims to provide the next
generation of Network Operators with an edge in today's highly competitive
market and allows us a conduit of highly capable operators, engineers, and
architects.

Please see below for the full program description.

Regards,
-Dave Temkin, for the NANOG Board of Directors

NANOG College Immersion Program

NANOG is committed to ensuring next generation of networking professionals
have an opportunity become part of the operational community that makes the
internet run. Companies such as Google, Level 3, Microsoft, NTT, Netflix,
Yahoo, and Amazon rely on NANOG to discuss key architectural and
operational topics relevant to Internet infrastructure. NANOG believes by
introducing undergraduates to our vibrant community before entering the job
marketplace, they will have a better understanding of how the
infrastructure of the Internet works and how they might participate after
graduation. Further, students may be able to find internship opportunities
they may have not otherwise found.

Offering:

NANOG will provide an expenses-paid trip to the current meeting for up to
25 students per meeting. The paid expenses will include:

   -

   Airfare (up to $500)
   -

   Four nights of hotel (must be booked by NANOG staff)
   -

   Ground transportation (reasonable cost)
   -

   Meal stipend (adjusted for meeting location)

NANOG will also, space permitting, allow free admission for students to the
NANOG Education Series (https://www.nanog.org/meetings/education/home)
class prior to the meeting they are attending.

NANOG will provide guidance to students as to what they may and may not
attend. Of note, alcohol is served at some NANOG events and there is the
expectation that those not legally entitled to consume alcohol will refrain
from doing so. NANOG takes no responsibility for those that break the law
during their meetings and reserves the right to refuse admission to those
that violate our Attendance Charter.

Expectation:

NANOG will not be involved in any syllabus or coursework for the students.
The NANOG organization will provide an agenda and slideware for the
materials that the students will be viewing and expects their professor to
determine the best way their students can extract educational value from
the NANOG program. NANOG asks, in return, that all students complete our
surveys in full and that their teaching staff provide us with a summary of
how they used our program in the classroom and/or in coursework. A few
paragraphs from each student explaining the value that they got from the
program and social interactions would also be a good idea.

Q&A:

Q: What is NANOG and what is the value proposition for sending a student to
this conference?

A: The North American Network Operators Group or NANOG, is the professional
association for Internet engineering and architecture. Our core focus is on
the technologies and systems that make the Internet function: core routing
and switching; Internet inter-domain routing; the domain name system;
peering and interconnection; and Internet core security. We also cover
associated areas with a direct impact on Internet architecture such as data
centers and optical networking.  The value proposition for the student is
exposure to all of these subjects and technical material but more
importantly to the organizations and individuals.  The opportunity for
students to make industry contacts is invaluable.

Q: How do we select students for this sponsorship?