[Attendee] austin eats

Chris Lonvick clonvick at cisco.com
Wed Feb 17 04:06:37 UTC 2010

Hi,

I live in north Austin but sometimes get downtown.

North By Northwest is an upscale brewpub in north Austin.  They brew their
own and actually cook good food.  Imho, brewpubs usually do one or the
other well - this place does both well so I also highly recommend it.

If you're looking for entertainment, start at 6th street.
http://www.6street.com/
There's too many places for me to name but it is a very competitive area
so mediocre places don't last long.  The conference hotel is within
walking distance of 6th street.  I'd also recommend walking south, towards
the river, and I can also recommend places south of the river along
Congress Ave.

The Congress Ave. bridge is where the bats hang out, but they're long gone
and won't be back till summer.
http://www.austincityguide.com/content/congress-bridge-bats-austin.asp

Here's a place with many beers from Texas and the rest of the world.
http://www.gingermanpub.com/
If you go, tell Jeff (one of the managers) that Chris sent you.  It won't
get you anything but he'll be pleased to hear.

A bit to the north, a place with lots of beer and some pub grub.
http://www.draughthouse.com/
It has a good "homey" feel to it.

If you're in the mood for a movie, try an Austin original: The Alamo
Drafthouse.
http://www.drafthouse.com/
The story goes that a couple liked watching movies with friends while
eating decent food and drinking beer.  They bought an unused theater,
removed every other row of seats and replaced them with tables.  The wait
staff will bring you food (decent pub grub) and beer (a wide selection)
during the movie.  (They also have wine but I don't have any friends
like that.)  They are successful and have expanded.

If you're in the neighborhood for a spell, drive out Texas 290 to
Fredericksburg.  Along the way you'll find:
The LBJ Ranch near Johnson City.
   http://www.nps.gov/lyjo/index.htm
A Texas wildflower farm.
   http://www.wildseedfarms.com/
Several Texas wineries.
   http://www.texaswinetrail.com/index.html
My favorite is Becker.
   http://www.beckervineyards.com/
When you get to Fredericksburg, you'll find much eclectic shopping and
several b&b's.
   http://www.fredericksburgtexas.com/
   http://www.fbgtx.org/
And my favorite places:
   http://www.yourbrewery.com/index.html
   http://www.theauslander.com/

I hope that y'all have a great time here.  Unfortunately, I won't be
joining as I've got a trip elsewhere next week.

Hope this helps,
Chris