[Attendee] Rogue RA

Michael Sinatra michael at rancid.berkeley.edu
Wed Jun 17 14:08:54 UTC 2009

On 6/16/09 3:25 PM, Tom Pusateri wrote:
> Shouldn't we see the same problem with rogue DHCP servers in v4?

That's what has always confused me.  Part of the reason we may not is
that the rogue comes on-line at a time when nobody is doing DHCPDISCOVER
and then goes off-line.  OTOH, if the rogue sends out just one RA, other
machines will configure the address and might even add a candidate route
immediately, regardless of whether they already have a v6 address.

However, I have been in other situations where I see RAs in IPv6, but I
don't have rogue DHCP issues in v4 on a particular net.  (At the same
time, we do see a bunch of rogue DHCP servers on our wireless nets at
Berkeley.)

michael