Open source Netflow analysis for monitoring AS-to-AS traffic

Peter Phaal peter.phaal at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 15:49:35 UTC 2024

I hope my comments were useful. I was trying to raise awareness that bgp
as-path information is an option and might be helpful in addressing Brian's
requirements, "I want to see with which ASes I am exchanging the most
traffic across my transits and IX links. I want to look for opportunities
to peer so I can better sell expansion of peering to upper management."

Possible reports that could be of interest are:
1. destination AS numbers by traffic volume and as-path length
2. destination AS numbers by traffic volume and second to last AS in path
(AS of peering with destination).
3. traffic volume by transit AS
4. traffic volume passing through AS allow / deny ASN list.

What other types of report might be interesting?

sFlow was mentioned because I believe Brian's routers support the feature
and may well export the as-path data directly via sFlow (I am not aware
that it is a feature widely supported in vendor NetFlow/IPFIX
implementations?). However, some of the tools mentioned (pmacct, Kentik,
Akvorado) can enrich flow data downstream (through BGP / BMP peering
session with router) if it isn't present in the sFlow/Netflow/IPFIX
records, although downstream enrichment does add a level of operational
complexity.