Re: If I announce 192.0.2.0/24, do I need a discard route? (Looking for a reference…)

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Wed Jan 31 21:46:38 UTC 2024

On Wed, Jan 31, 2024 at 3:56 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 31, 2024 at 12:30 PM Warren Kumari <warren at kumari.net> wrote:
>
> So, let's say I'm announcing some address space (e.g 192.0.2.0/24), but
> I'm only using part of it internally (e.g 192.0.2.0/25). I've always
> understood that it's best practice[0] to have a discard route (eg static to
> null0/discard or similar[1]) for what I'm announcing.
>
> Hi Warren,
>
> Your router won't announce 192.0.2.0/24 unless it knows a route to
> 192.0.2.0/24 or has been configured to aggregate any internal routes
> inside 192.0.2.0/24 to 192.0.2.0/24.

It that always true? I'd started off thinking that, but a friend of mine
(yes, the same one that started this  argument) convinced me that
some forms of BGP summarization/aggregation don't always generate a "local"
route…

I'd also thought that I'd seen this when redistributing an IGP into BGP,
and using that as a contributor to 'aggregate-address' on Cisco devices.
This is from a long time ago, and really hazy now, but I'd thought that any
contributor would cause that the aggregate-address route to be announced,
and a local hold down not to be created.  It's possible that a: I'm just
wrong b: this is not longer true, c: both of the above.

There are also some more inventive ways of getting routes into BGP, like
using ExaBGP as an example.

192.0.2.0/25 doesn't count; it needs to know a route to 192.0.2.0/24.