Networks ignoring prepends?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Jan 24 17:22:06 UTC 2024

On Wed, Jan 24, 2024 at 8:39 AM James Jun <james.jun at towardex.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2024 at 08:16:56AM -0800, William Herrin wrote:
> > Sophistry. I buy IP transit from 3 providers, one of which has a 3 AS
> > path to 3356.
>
> Again you omit context.

What you're calling context, I call deceptive.

For one thing, Centurylink's process is, like a spammer, opt-out
rather than opt-in. 3356 enables the local pref unless told through a
BGP community not to. There's no evidence that 47787 even knows that
Centurylink is preferring them despite shorter AS paths elsewhere, let
alone desires that behavior. Indeed, given the prepends that 47787
added, it's quite possible they desire the opposite.

For another, a key implication in your "context" is that if one
customer intentionally pays 3356 to intentionally send another
customer's packets on a longer, slower trip than 3356 otherwise would,
that's a legitimate above-board business transaction. Not obviously
corrupt.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--