Networks ignoring prepends?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Jan 24 15:02:32 UTC 2024

On Wed, 24 Jan 2024, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

> [...]

It can be a whole lot worse.  At a previous job, running an anycast CDN,
we had POPs originating the same prefixes all over the world.  Cogent was
one of our transit providers in most POPs (i.e. all the POPs in North
America and Europe).

Toward the end of my time there, Cogent started making some progress
breaking into the transit market in Asia.  So, we saw some eyeball
networks in Asia hitting our anycast IPs via Cogent.  Trouble was, the
established "tier 1's" in Asia wouldn't peer with Cogent in Asia (for
business reasons - i.e. they didn't want Cogent coming into their market
and upsetting their apple carts).  Our Asian POPs had lots of peering (IX
and private) and transit from established Asian tier 1's.  So this traffic
from Cogent's Asian customers would land in our LA and San Jose POPs.  As
you can imagine, the RTT from an eyeball in Tokyo is "a bit higher" when
talking to our LA POP vs our Tokyo POP.  Cogent has some BGP community
controls available, but nothing that says "keep this route in-region".
IIRC, the closest to it they had was lower localpref when sharing with
region X.  Lowering localpref doesn't matter if region X has no path other
than the one received from an out-of-region customer session.  Our options
were "stop advertising anycast to Cogent globally" or "connect to Cogent
in Asia so we can serve that traffic locally from our Asian POPs."

In one of his messages, William complained that the big bad networks are
breaking the BGP rules by ignoring as-path length.  That's nonsense.  If
you look at the BGP best path decision algorithm, there are several
attributes considered before as-path length.  Localpref is one of
them...and since most networks exist to make money, it's standard practice
to use localpref to make sure you route traffic economically rather than
efficiently (via the shortest as-path, which may still not be the shortest
actual path).  For traffic you care about, obviously there's a balance
between cost and performance.  If you've made poor/cheap choices in your
transit providers, nobody cares that your traffic takes the scenic route.
At least not the networks carrying your traffic that you're not directly
paying...and you're likely to find, as above, even when you are directly
paying, their interests are likely to outweigh yours.