Networks ignoring prepends?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Jan 23 22:24:53 UTC 2024

On Tue, Jan 23, 2024 at 12:38 PM Tom Beecher <beecher at beecher.cc> wrote:
> 1. Experiment with 53356's TE communities to prevent them from announcing to upstreams that give you poor performance to 3356.

Respectfully, I rejected that approach because it doesn't address the
other few hundred instances of this problem, nor even resolves the
current issue since Centurylink is demonstrated to then switch to yet
another customer via a different one of my upstreams that would
require yet another community, if there is one.

> 2. See if 47787 will talk to you about their path to 3356.

Haha. You're funny.

> 3. Pick an upstream that has better / more direct connectivity to 3356, use them instead of /in parallel with 53356.

Haha. You're funny.

> 4. Get yourself connected to 3356 directly.

I am, just not as a BGP customer. And I won't be as a BGP customer.
Opening a ticket with them has not yielded results. Or any response
from network engineering at all. Just the frontline support who wants
me to reboot my modem. :(

> 5. Keep yelling at the clouds about 3356 , even though they are doing the same thing that (to the best of my knowledge) every large transit provider does.

6. Pollute the DFZ because in light of what "every large transit
provider does," that's the solution that actually works.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin