Networks ignoring prepends?

Alex Le Heux alexlh at funk.org
Tue Jan 23 01:29:11 UTC 2024

>> Packets don't have customers, ISPs do. And in this case you're not a customer of the ISP making the routing decision
>
> Incorrect. I am a customer of 3356. A residential customer, not a BGP
> customer. I'm paying them to route my packets too, and they're routing
> them poorly.

Oh, you should have said that right away, or perhaps I missed it.

In that case it’s simple: Stop giving them money for bad service. By continuing to give them money you’re incentivizing them to continue breaking your internet, making you the architect of your own misery ;)

> Also incorrect: every packet in your network is linked to either one
> or two customers. Never more. Never less. Routing my packet via 47787
> in this case serves neither of us: my Internet access is severely
> degraded and 47787 is charged money for a packet they need not have
> handled.

Nonsense. 47787 is clearly telling 3356 they *want* to handle that traffic and even paying for the privilege. Apparently there is a conflict between what you want and what 47787 wants. As you both seem to be paying customers, you should probably ask 3356 to resolve that instead of us random internet folks.

>> Fact is that all prepending does it provide a vague hint to other
>> networks about what you would like them to do.
>
> Until they tamper with it using localpref, BGP's default behavior with
> prepends does exactly the right thing, at least in my situation.

Try giving your money to someone who runs BGP with just its default settings and no policies, see how well that works out.

Cheers,

Alex