IRR information & BYOIP (Bring Your Own IP) with Cloud Providers

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Jan 22 21:35:15 UTC 2024

On Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 1:55 PM Owen DeLong via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org> wrote:
> Sounds like you’ve got a weird mix of route origination. Why wouldn’t you advertise to Google via BGP and have your prefix originate from your own ASN?

Big Cloud byoip doesn't generally work that way. You register the
addresses in their portal and they handle everything else with the
expectation that their AS is the sole origin for the prefix in
question. At least that's how the AWS offering works. I presume GCP is
the same. They're not acting as a general-purpose ISP.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin