IRR information & BYOIP (Bring Your Own IP) with Cloud Providers

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 18:44:21 UTC 2024

On Mon, Jan 22, 2024 at 1:27 PM Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> On Jan 21, 2024, at 16:10, Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Sun, Jan 21, 2024, 5:39 PM Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Jan 21, 2024, at 12:07, Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, Jan 19, 2024, 4:55 PM Owen DeLong via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sounds like you’ve got a weird mix of route origination. Why wouldn’t you advertise to Google via BGP and have your prefix originate from your own ASN?
>>

>> I think in this case the customer has their own disconnected deployment, and they are asking 396982 to announce some subset of their prefixes such that gcp gets that traffic.
>>

>> If that’s the case, IMHO, the better solution is to obtain a second ASN and announce that to GCP. Create ROAs (if you want to use RPKI) accordingly.
>

> That's not the product today, and really this is all accomplished with cloud goop inside gcp. (aws and azure have similar offerings, I believe)
>

> Interesting. It’s what several of my consulting clients are doing. They simply treat the cloud provider as an upstream peer on their cloud virtual router and bgp as normal (ish, those cloud virtual routers are pretty strange).

yes the 'cloud router' things are strange, and odd and 'not the same'
across various product/providers.
I know that some offerings permit a more 'direct control' of the bgp
conversation betewen customer and cloud provider and internet,
but that's not a universal thing :( Sometimes because 'bgp is hard', I
imagine the product thought process went.