IRR information & BYOIP (Bring Your Own IP) with Cloud Providers

kubanowy kubanowy at o2.pl
Fri Jan 19 10:39:37 UTC 2024

Hi,  We have our own prefix assignment from ARIN. We have our infrastructure in GCP (Google Cloud Platform) where we started using BYOIP functionality (Google advertises our IPs). We followed their recommendation with ROA configuration in ARIN   cloud.google.com https://cloud.google.com/vpc/docs/bring-your-own-ip#live-migration-recommendations   but they don't mention if IRR (whois database) should be updated as well. I've checked with their support and they said no additional changes need to be done there.  But currently we are in situation where ARIN's whois contains entry for our prefix with our own ASN and Google advertised to RADb entry for our prefixes with their own ASN. When we use online tools like   irrexplorer.nlnog.net https://irrexplorer.nlnog.net/   or Cisco's CrossWork Cloud (former BGPmon), they mark our prefixes due to mismatch of ASN in those 2 databases.  We haven't observed any routing issues so far (i.e. ISP not importing our prefixes), but we aim to sort this out for better credibility. I'm wondering what's community approach for updating whois databases when using BYOIP functionality with Cloud providers and if there is a risk of any potential impact if we were to change information in ARIN.  Thanks