"Hypothetical" Datacenter Overheating

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Tue Jan 16 09:50:13 UTC 2024

On Tue, 16 Jan 2024 at 11:00, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> You have a computer room humidified to 40% and you inject cold air
> below the dew point. The surfaces in the room will get wet.

I think humidity and condensation is well understood and indeed
documented but by NEBS and vendors as verboten.

I am more interested in temperature changes when not condensating and
causing water damage. Like we could theorise, some soldering will
expand/contract too fast, breaking or various other types of scenarios
one might guess without context, and indeed electronics often have to
experience large temperature gradients and appear to survive.
When you turn these things on, various parts rapidly heat from ambient
to 80-90c. So I have some doubts if this is actually a problem you
need to consider, in absence of condensation.

--
  ++ytti