"Hypothetical" Datacenter Overheating

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Tue Jan 16 06:48:36 UTC 2024

Something worth a thought is that as much as devices don't like being
too hot they also don't like to have their temperature change too
quickly. Parts can expand/shrink variably depending on their
composition.

A rule of thumb is a few degrees per hour change but YMMV, depends on
the equipment. Sometimes manufacturer's specs include this.

Throwing open the windows on a winter day to try to rapidly bring the
room down to a "normal" temperature may do more harm than good.

It might be worthwhile figuring out what is reasonable in advance with
buy-in rather than in a panic because, from personal experience,
someone will be screaming in your ear JUST OPEN ALL THE WINDOWS
WHADDYA STUPID?

--
        -Barry Shein