Backward Compatibility Re: 202401100645.AYC Re: IPv4 address block

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Mon Jan 15 05:36:06 UTC 2024

>     My apologies! For an uninitiated, I misread your message as if
> IPv6 was originally designed with a plan to assure smooth transition
> from IPv4.

i'll try again

there was a transition plan; it was dual stack.  i did not say it was a
*good* transition plan.

the plan's fatal flaw was that it assumed there was sufficient ipv4 to
be congruent until ipv6 was widely enough deplayed that the ipv4 could
be turned off.  this was in the face of very real data (props to frank
kastenholz) projecting the ipv4 run out rate.

the v6 fantasy was that ipv6 would be quickly deployed.  i guess it has
been from the perspective of geologic time.

randy