Stealthy Overlay Network Re: 202401100645.AYC Re: IPv4 address block

Christopher Hawker chris at thesysadmin.au
Mon Jan 15 05:09:20 UTC 2024

Hang on... So EzIP is now about using 240/4 as CGNAT space? Wait, I'm
lost...

With CGNAT, there is either public IP space in front of the gateway, or
private space behind it. There is no such thing as "semi-private" space in
the world of CGNAT, as devices with public IPs can't directly access
devices behind a CGNAT gateway with a 100.64/10 address. It's either a
public address, or a private address (not to be confused with an RFC1918
private address).

Let's talk hypothetically for a minute and assume that 240/4 is used as
CGNAT space. Your "solution" to residential gateways not supporting the use
of 240/4 space being upgraded to OpenWRT won't work, because not all CPE
supports OpenWRT.

Instead of attempting to use a larger prefix for CGNAT, IPv6 is definitely
the easier solution to implement as the vast majority of vendors already
support v6.

Regards,
Christopher Hawker