How threading works (was Re: Root Cause Re: 202401102221.AYC Re: Streamline The CG-NAT Re: 202401100645.AYC Re: IPv4 address block)

James R Cutler james.cutler at consultant.com
Sun Jan 14 18:09:26 UTC 2024

On Sat, Jan 13, 2024 at 12:58 PM Bryan Fields <Bryan at bryanfields.net <mailto:Bryan at bryanfields.net>> wrote:
> On 1/12/24 3:04 PM, Mu wrote:
>> Would it be possible for you to reply in-thread, rather than creating a new thread with a new subject line every time you reply to someone?
>>
>> Trying to follow the conversation becomes very difficult for no reason.
>
> Threading has nothing to do with subject lines.  RFC822 (now 5822) specifies
> how this works based on message ID.  This thread displays fine in threaded
> mode in my MUA and in the archives.

Bryan,

My personal use of email agents involves ordering incoming messages by date sent. Many others order their inbox by date received. I don't use MUA ordering by thread or conversation because I must use MUAs on many diverse systems. So for many decades, I have continued to use my own mental programming to sort and group messages by subject. This, by the way, is akin to aural conversations between persons where announcing a change of subject is expected to be followed by a new topic.

For those of us on OCD, ADD, or Autism spectrums, multiple subjects lines cause cognitive dissonance - sometimes damaging comprehension of the continuing thread (conversation). I don't claim it violates the ADA, but it should especially when willfully continued after requests for amended behavior. Lazarus Long would probably express this more cogently.

In the interest of polite conversation,
-
James R. Cutler
james.cutler at consultant.com