IPv6? Re: Where to Use 240/4 Re: 202401100645.AYC Re: IPv4 address block

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Fri Jan 12 19:45:51 UTC 2024

Michael Thomas writes:

> I wonder if the right thing to do is to create a standards track RFC that
> makes the experimental space officially an add on to rfc 1918. If it works
> for you, great, if not your problem. It would at least stop all of these
> recurring arguments that we could salvage it for public use when the
> knowability of whether it could work is zero.

In 2008 there were two proposals

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-fuller-240space/
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-wilson-class-e/

where the former was agnostic about how we would eventually be able to
use 240/4, and the latter designated it as RFC 1918-style private space.
Unfortunately, neither proposal was adopted as an RFC then, so we lost a
lot of time in which more vendors and operators could have made more
significant progress on its usability.