202401100645.AYC Re: IPv4 address block

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 17:37:43 UTC 2024

On Thu, Jan 11, 2024 at 12:26 PM Tom Beecher <beecher at beecher.cc> wrote:

> Christopher-
>
>> Reclassifying this space, would add 10+ years onto the free pool for each RIR. Looking at the APNIC free pool, I would estimate there is about 1/6th of a /8 pool available for delegation, another 1/6th reserved. Reclassification would see available pool volumes return to pre-2010 levels.
>

> Citing Nick Hilliard from another reply, this is an incorrect statement.
>
>> on this point: prior to RIR depletion, the annual global run-rate on /8s
>> measured by IANA was ~13 per annum. So that suggests that 240/4 would
>> provide a little more than 1Y of consumption, assuming no demand
>> back-pressure, which seems an unlikely assumption.
>

>> I share Dave's views, I would like to see 240/4 reclassified as unicast space and 2 x /8s delegated to each RIR with the /8s for AFRINIC to be held until their issues have been resolved.
>

> This has been discussed at great length at IETF. The consensus on the question has been consistent for many years now; doing work to free up 12-ish months of space doesn't make much sense

Thought that 12 month argument was purest BS in light of all the
events since 2011. We have been "out" of IPv4 space for many years
now, and there is a functioning market for IPv4 space that seems to be
serving the purpose. 240/4 is only marginally useful today, but useful
it is.

> when IPv6 exists, along with plenty of transition/translation mechanisms. Unless someone is able to present new arguments that change the current consensus, it's not going to happen.

Instead, bigcos like google and amazon have been able to squat on
240/4 and take advantage of it for 5+ years now. I do kind of hope
others are using it up in the same ways they are.

Consensus, no. Just the few, like my team, that looked clearly at the
future internet's needs getting shouted down by those in power over
there. We cited many other arguments in favor of opening it up. There
are rumblings far outside the realm of the ietf.

I was once naive enough to consider the internet a vast, global,
shared, and beloved space with resources that needed to be conserved
and spread to and for all mankind. And while I still do feel that, our
existing bureaucracies and gatekeepers have seemingly infinite power
to say no, to even simple improvements to how the internet could work.

There is no reason whatsoever for 240/4 to remain "reserved". There
are plausible debates as to how it should be used, but rfc1918-style
only benefits the few.