202401100645.AYC Re: IPv4 address block

Christopher Hawker chris at thesysadmin.au
Thu Jan 11 10:54:31 UTC 2024

There really is no reason for 240/4 to remain "reserved". I share Dave's
views, I would like to see 240/4 reclassified as unicast space and 2 x /8s
delegated to each RIR with the /8s for AFRINIC to be held until their
issues have been resolved.

Reclassifying this space, would add 10+ years onto the free pool for each
RIR. Looking at the APNIC free pool, I would estimate there is about 1/6th
of a /8 pool available for delegation, another 1/6th reserved.
Reclassification would see available pool volumes return to pre-2010 levels.

https://www.apnic.net/manage-ip/ipv4-exhaustion/

In the IETF draft that was co-authored by Dave as part of the IPv4 Unicast
Extensions Project, a very strong case was presented to convert this space.

https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-schoen-intarea-unicast-240-00.html

Regards,
Christopher Hawker