202401100645.AYC Re: IPv4 address block

Tom Beecher beecher at beecher.cc
Wed Jan 10 15:12:49 UTC 2024

Karim-

Please be cautious about this advice, and understand the full context.

240/4 is still classified as RESERVED space. While you would certainly be
able to use it on internal networks if your equipment supports it, you
cannot use it as publicly routable space. There have been many proposals
over the years to reclassify 240/4, but that has not happened, and is
unlikely to at any point in the foreseeable future.

Mr. Chen-

I understand your perspective surrounding 240/4, and respect your position,
even though I disagree. That being said, it's pretty dirty pool to toss
this idea to an operator clearly looking to acquire *publicaly routable*
space without being clear that this suggestion wouldn't meet their needs.

( Unless people are transferring RFC1918 space these days, in which case
who wants to make me an offer for 10/8? )