starlink ixp peering progress

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Tue Feb 27 21:50:14 UTC 2024

> On Feb 27, 2024, at 08:54, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
> One of the things I learned today was that starlink has published an extensive guide as to how existing BGP AS holders can peer with them to get better service.

Yes, essentially every AS does this.  The ones that follow best-practices tend to be pretty uniform:

https://pch.net/peering
https://aws.amazon.com/peering/policy/
https://www.bytedance.com/en/peering
https://peering.google.com/#/options/peering
https://openconnect.netflix.com/en/peering/
https://www.lumen.com/en-us/about/legal/peering-policy.html
http://peering.ovh.net/

Starlink’s peering policy is straight-forward and follows best practices.  Then there are ones that get a little further afield, some of which can get kinda unusual in their fine-print:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/internet-peering/policy
https://www.verizon.com/business/terms/peering/
https://www.zayo.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Zayo-Global-IP-Interconnection-Policy-Final-1.pdf
https://wholesale.orange.com/international/en/peering-policy.html

> I am curious if there is a way to see how many have peered already?

Well, if Starlink operates a looking-glass, sure.  Or you can derive an idea, albeit an incomplete one, from public data.  If any national communications regulators are paying attention, they may have placed a regulatory requirement on Starlink to make this public data, though it might have to be dug out of regulatory compliance filings, and might not be up-to-date.

> how many they could actually peer with?

That you’d need to script, though many people have.  We have an internal tool that tells us that about our own network, and I suspect pretty much every network large enough to have a dedicated peering team does likewise.  If you were to write such a tool for nonspecific use, we have public datasets that would show you who potential peers were at each IXP, and what routes / how many addresses they were advertising at each IXP…  Obviously if you’re learning Deutche Telekom’s routes in Frankfurt and Munich, it matters somewhat less whether you also peer with them in Karlsruhe, assuming they’re advertising the same routes everywhere, though it’s still good.  If they’re doing regional announcement, you might need to peer with them in different location to “collect the whole set” of their routes.  That’s not so common now, though it was a fad for a while, maybe fifteen years ago.  I haven’t tried to quantify the degree of regional announcement lately… that’s a good small project for a student who wants to learn about routing and interconnection.

> And progress over time since inception.... is there a tool for that?

I think you’d have to throw together your own tools for that, or derive it from public data such as the routing archives that we, RIPE, and Route-Views maintain.

> Is there a better email list to discuss ixp stuff?

The two I know of are ixp-discuss at pch.net and ixp-discuss at itu.int.  Both are pretty quiet, though both have very helpful people on them.

                                -Bill