Why are paper LOAs still used?

Carlos Friaças cfriacas at fccn.pt
Tue Feb 27 08:39:50 UTC 2024

Hi,
(please see inline)

On Mon, 26 Feb 2024, Tom Samplonius wrote:

>  There is one purpose:  to facilitate IP fraud, and maintain currently fraudulently routed IPs.

Yes!

>  Anyone can dummy up a LOA.  And there is still quite a lot of unrouted
> IP space.

Yes. But the endgame is not always the same, when miscreants push fake
LOAs (for routing).

I was recently made aware about https://loa.tools

This is how easy it gets......

> VPS providers know this, and know their customers are submitting fake
> LOAs.

Then it's a good idea to require cryptographic evidence of
ownership/authorization, by resorting to RPKI/ROV.

> But it is sort of the business VPS providers are in.

That can by true for some. I hope it isn't true for the majority of them.

>  Is it some sort of serious crime in the US though?  Well, just submit
> the LOA from outside the US.  Plus, the entity being defrauded is the IP
> holder, not the VPS provider or their customer.  If you are an IP
> holder, good luck getting the VPS provider to give you a copy of the
> fake LOA.  It is not in their interest to throw their customers under
> the bus.  You would have to give them a court order.  So if you look
> for unrouted IP space, registered to a non-US organization (ex. Canada),
> and submit a fake LOA from another country (London, UK for instance),
> you are unlikely to get tracked down for wire fraud.

Good example, but there are also some less central
jurisdictions/coutries/territories, where local law enforcement
cooperation is even harder to get. And miscreants know this very well.

> And you might ask, well, why would a VPS provider accept an LOA from
> the UK for an IP block registered to a Canadian organization?  Well,
> clearly it isn?t in the VPS provider?s interest to look into the LOAs
> too much.

While it doesn't change anything in the "interest" vector, resorting to
RPKI/ROV would probably be less work.

> As long as the IP space is unrouted, they will approve it.  The LOA is
> basically just a liability shield for the VPS provider.  It is not a
> crime to be deceived, though the due diligence beggars belief.

Even if the IP space is routed, can't anycast be invoked...? :-)))

>  So I had this happen.  There was a /24 being hijacked by a VPS
> provider.  I told them this was fraud, and they asked me if I wanted to
> ?rescind the LOA?.  I told them I never gave them a LOA.  They dropped
> the /24 immediately.  They refused to provide a copy of the LOA.  So
> pretty hard to pursue any sort of wire fraud charges.

That's the thing with LOAs for routing, the only way to be sure is to
check if there is a valid ROA with the prefix, length and ASN. :-)

If the customer can't make a valid ROA, or make the legitimate owner
produce one, then the claim on the LOA is bogus...

>  So a VPS provider asking for a paper LOA is basically asking you to
> lie to them, to protect them from liability.  They will just drop the IP
> prefix if there is any contact from the actual IP holder.

If the legitimate IP holder has closed shop, there will not be a contact.
And miscreants also know this very well...

Cheers,
Carlos