Why are paper LOAs still used?

Christopher Hawker chris at thesysadmin.au
Tue Feb 27 07:05:08 UTC 2024

Hi Seth,

LOAs can't be considered more trustworthy than IRR objects. The RIRs operate IRRdb services as part of the services they offer which network operators should be using instead of the free and paid non-authoritative IRRdb operators.

If you don’t mind, could you please reach out to me off-list with who the VPS hosting provider is that is only accepting LOAs? I’d like to reach out to them to discuss their decision.

I’m doing a talk at APRICOT 2024 on using ROAs to replace LOAs. In my view there's no reason why network operators cannot use ROAs instead to validate the routes received from their peers, be they upstream or downstream.

Regards,
Christopher Hawker

Sent from my iPhone