TFTP over anycast

Adam Thompson athompson at merlin.mb.ca
Fri Feb 23 15:57:19 UTC 2024

Others have addressed some of the issues, but one easy win for DHCP (which is otherwise a PITA to make redundany in *any* way) is to (a) not block ICMP anywhere, including on the client devices, and (b) have the DHCP ping before assignment.  That’s not always on by default, and it’ll eliminate ~90% of the conflicts you would otherwise encounter if the anycast node isn’t extremely stable.  If you become aware of a distributed DHCP server that actually works well in this environment, that’s worth a post to the list all by itself.
-Adam

Adam Thompson
Consultant, Infrastructure Services
[cid:image001.png at 01DA663E.AD5957D0]
100 - 135 Innovation Drive
Winnipeg, MB R3T 6A8
(204) 977-6824 or 1-800-430-6404 (MB only)
https://www.merlin.mb.ca<https://www.merlin.mb.ca/>
[cid:image002.png at 01DA663E.AD5957D0]Chat with me on Teams<https://teams.microsoft.com/l/chat/0/[email protected]>
[https://res-h3.public.cdn.office.net/assets/bookwithme/misc/CalendarPerson20px.png]<https://outlook.office.com/bookwithme/user/[email protected]?anonymous&ep=bwmEmailSignature>
Book time to meet with me<https://outlook.office.com/bookwithme/user/[email protected]?anonymous&ep=bwmEmailSignature>