NANOG 90 Attendance?

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Mon Feb 19 21:17:19 UTC 2024

On Thu, Feb 15, 2024 at 10:30 AM, Lee Howard <LeeHoward at hilcostreambank.com>
wrote:

> I’m jumping on an earlier part of the thread.
>

> Based on what I heard at the Members Meeting and several follow up hallway
> conversations, I think:
>

>    - NANOG needs a focus group on attendees. A survey won’t do it, we
>    need a deep dive into roles, interests, career level, and why they attend.
>    - Somebody or somebodies should be specifically tasked with following
>    up with every one of the 120 newcomer attendees to ask what it would take
>    to get them to come back. Our conversion rate to repeat attendee is a key
>    performance indicator. There’s a great Newcomer Orientation just before
>    conference opening; let’s have a Newcomer Lessons Learned at the end.
>    - Poll attendees on relative importance of location, registration fee,
>    programming, side meeting space. Iterate based on comments (location =
>    airport? Hotel? Nearby amenities? Proximity to home?)
>    - Survey sponsors. I give feedback to staff and occasional board
>    members, but there’s no clear way to gather information.
>    - These should be sent to the Members in advance of a Members Meeting
>    to discuss. Needs more than 20 minutes of a 45 minute meeting before main
>    programming.
>    - Consider empaneling a Mission Committee to review NANOG’s mission
>    and how to fulfill it.
>

> Other thoughts, which I couldn’t submit in a survey or find another way to
> send to the board or staff:
>

>    - I suggested in San Diego and now bring to the list: the last item on
>    the agenda should be 15-30 minutes of “What are you taking home from this
>    NANOG?”
>
>       - Helps remind people what value they got
>       - Lets us know what people found most valuable (Specific sessions?
>       deals done? Trends in hallway topics?)
>       - Solidifies for people what they can offer their boss as the value
>       of sending them to NANOG
>
>    - We should look into cooperating with other network organizations for
>    meetings. WISPAmerica, NRECA, NTCA, Fiber Connect, SCTE, IETF
>    - ARIN has a help desk in the main hall. Allow other sponsors to put
>    up a Help Desk. Put up a sign showing which company will be there for which
>    half-day increment. I think a lot of attendees would find value in the
>    ability to sit down with a senior sales engineer at their favorite router,
>    optical, or intelligence vendor to say, “Here’s my problem,” even if many
>    of those conversations resulted in “Let’s schedule time to discuss in more
>    depth.”
>
>       - Price it like BnG—you’re getting ½ day of visibility, less
>       distraction than meal/break sponsors
>       - Require swag to be incidentals like pens and stickers—if you’re
>       getting a mad rush of people, you’re missing the point

We actually had an IETF "Help Desk" at NANOG 63 (San Antonio, 2015) and
NANOG 64 or 65 —
https://www.internetsociety.org/blog/2015/01/chris-grundemann-nanog-63-talking-bcop-ietf-and-more/
and
https://www.internetsociety.org/blog/2014/11/operators-and-the-ietf-update-from-ietf-91/

We hoped to answer questions such as:
“Why should I participate in the IETF?”
“How do I get involved in the IETF?”
“What is the difference between an Internet-Draft and an RFC?”
“How do I submit an idea to the IETF?”
“What is the IETF working on in <foo> space?”
“How do I comment on an existing IETF document?”
<your question here>

This was (IMO) quite successful, and I personally thought that it benefited
both the IETF and NANOG.
We had hoped to continue this series, but NANOG moved to wanting to charge
the IETF for a sponsor table[0], and, lacking funds, we stopped.