[External] Re: IPv6 uptake

Tim Howe tim.h at bendtel.com
Mon Feb 19 17:44:56 UTC 2024

On Mon, 19 Feb 2024 09:16:00 -0800
William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> I disagree with that one. Limiting discussion to the original security
> context (rather than the wider world of how useful IPv6 is without
> IPv4), IPv6 is typically delivered to "most people" without border
> security, while IPv4 is delivered with a stateful NAT firewall.

	How is v6 being delivered without a stateful firewall while v4
is secured with one?

FWIW, in the decade we have been providing dual-stack by default, I
have made a bit of a hobby out of testing every CPE and SOHO router
that I get may hands on in my PON lab.  I've never once seen a device
that has v6 support and didn't have a stateful v6 firewall on by
default (if v6 was "on").

	By whom and how is this being delivered?

--TimH