[External] Re: IPv6 uptake

Hunter Fuller hf0002+nanog at uah.edu
Mon Feb 19 16:10:54 UTC 2024

On Mon, Feb 19, 2024 at 9:29 AM Mike Hammett <nanog at ics-il.net> wrote:
> "In IPv6's default operation, if Joe has two connections then each of
> his computers has two IPv6 addresses and two default routes. If one
> connection goes down, one of the routes and sets of IP addresses goes
> away."
>
> This sounds like a disaster.

You know, I thought so too, until I deployed it and it worked fine.

I have done it twice now, once on MikroTik RouterOS and once on
Ubiquiti EdgeOS. You just have to make sure the timers are pretty
short, and that the router will stop sending RAs for the route if it's
not working. This is definitely something that a COTS SOHO dual WAN
router, that Joe would buy, could and should do by default (hopefully
they do; I just haven't checked).

--
Hunter Fuller (they)
Router Jockey