IPv6 uptake

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Mon Feb 19 14:52:07 UTC 2024

" We can seriously lose NAT for v6 and not lose
anything of worth."

I'm not going to participate in the security conversation, but we do absolutely need something to fill the role of NAT in v6. If it's already there or not, I don't know. Use case: Joe's Taco Shop. Joe doesn't want a down Internet connection to prevent transactions from completing, so he purchases two diverse broadband connections, say a cable connection and a DSL connection. When ISP fails, traffic will have to exit ISP B. He's not getting a /48, LOA, BGP, etc. to do it on his own, he's just going to do simple NAT.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com