IPv6 uptake

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sun Feb 18 22:33:56 UTC 2024

It appears that Nick Hilliard <nick at foobar.org> said:
>full control of all modems and they're all relatively recent, properly
>supported units, fully managed by the cable operator. If you start
>adding poor quality cheap units into the mix, it can cause service problems.

The cablecos I've dealt with have a list of modems they let you use.
Since you have to give them the modem's serial number so they can
provision it from the head end, they can enforce it. Here's Spectrum's
and Comcast's list:

https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/compliant-modems-charter-network

https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices/

>Cable modem rent is a political issue.

That too, but if you're somewhat technically competent, your own modem
and router is generally a better deal even if you have to replace the
modem every few years. You can get reasonable modems for $100 on eBay
or at big box closeouts, $150 to $200 otherwise.