IPv6 uptake (was: The Reg does 240/4)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Feb 17 19:27:20 UTC 2024

On Sat, Feb 17, 2024 at 10:34 AM Michael Thomas <mike at mtcc.com> wrote:
> I didn't hear about NAT until the
> late 90's, iirc. I've definitely not heard of Gauntlet.

Then there are gaps in your knowledge.

> Funny, I don't recall Bellovin and Cheswick's Firewall book discussing
> NAT.

And mine too, since I hadn't heard of "Firewalls and Internet
Security: Repelling the Wily Hacker" and have not read it.

I see that the book was published in 1994. In 1994 Gauntlet was
calling their process "transparent application layer gateways," not
NAT.

What was called NAT in 1994 was stateless 1:1 NAT, where one IP mapped
to exactly one IP in both directions. Stateless 1:1 NAT had no impact
on security. But that's not the technology we're talking about in
2024. Stateless 1:1 NAT is so obsolete that support was dropped from
the Linux kernel a long time ago. That actually caused a problem for
me in 2017. I had a use where I wanted 1:1 NAT and wanted to turn off
connection tracking so that I could do asymmetric routing through the
stateless translators. No go.

So it does not surprise me that a 1994 book on network security would
not have discussed NAT. They'd have referred to the comparable
contemporary technology, which was "transparent application layer
gateways." Those behaved like what we now call NAT but did the job a
different way: instead of modifying packets, they terminated the
connection and proxied it.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--