IPv6 uptake (was: The Reg does 240/4)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Feb 17 18:53:41 UTC 2024

On Sat, Feb 17, 2024 at 10:22 AM Justin Streiner <streinerj at gmail.com> wrote:
> Getting back to the recently revised topic of this thread - IPv6
> uptake - what have peoples' experiences been related to
> crafting sane v6 firewall rulesets in recent products from the
> major firewall players (Palo Alto, Cisco, Fortinet, etc)?

Hi Justin,

It's been years since I used anything other than Linux to build
someone a firewall. It has such a superior toolset, not just for
setting rules but for diagnosing things that don't work as expected.
The COTS products aren't just painful for IPv6, they're painful for
IPv4.

I especially despised the Cisco PIX/ASA line. I did use Fortinet's WAF
product for a while and it was okay. I only used it as a reverse proxy
to a web server, and then only because it was a security compliance
requirement for that project.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--