IPv6 uptake (was: The Reg does 240/4)

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Fri Feb 16 23:13:34 UTC 2024

On 2/16/24 3:01 PM, William Herrin wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 16, 2024 at 2:19 PM Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
>>> From: "Justin Streiner" <streinerj at gmail.com>
>>> 4. Getting people to unlearn the "NAT=Security" mindset that we were forced
>>> to accept in the v4 world.
>> NAT doesn't "equal" security.
>>
>> But it is certainly a *component* of security, placing control of what internal
>> nodes are accessible from the outside in the hands of the people inside.
> Hi Jay,
>
> Every firewall does that. What NAT does above and beyond is place
> control of what internal nodes are -addressable- from the outside in
> the hands of the people inside -- so that most of the common mistakes
> with firewall configuration don't cause the internal hosts to -become-
> accessible.

If you know which subnets need to be NAT'd don't you also know which
ones shouldn't exposed to incoming connections (or conversely, which
should be permitted)? It seems to me that all you're doing is moving
around where that knowledge is stored? Ie, DHCP so it can give it
private address rather than at the firewall knowing which subnets not to
allow access? Yes, DHCP can be easily configured to make everything
private, but DHCP for static reachable addresses is pretty handy too.

Mike