The Reg does 240/4

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Fri Feb 16 15:27:56 UTC 2024

Evidence to support Tom's statement:

https://auctions.ipv4.global/prior-sales

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com

Midwest-IX
http://www.midwest-ix.com

----- Original Message -----

From: "Tom Beecher" <beecher at beecher.cc>
To: "Brian Knight" <ml at knight-networks.com>
Cc: nanog at nanog.org
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2024 5:31:42 PM
Subject: Re: The Reg does 240/4

$/IPv4 address peaked in 2021, and has been declining since.

On 2024-02-15 13:10, Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM) wrote:
> I've said it before, and I'll say it again:
>
> The only thing stopping global IPv6 deployment is
> Netflix continuing to offer services over IPv4.
>
> If Netflix dropped IPv4, you would see IPv6 available *everywhere*
> within a month.

As others have noted, and to paraphrase a long-ago quote from this
mailing list, I'm sure all of Netflix's competitors hope Netflix does
that.

I remain hopeful that the climbing price of unique, available IPv4
addresses eventually forces migration to v6. From my armchair, only
through economics will this situation will be resolved.

> --lyndon

-Brian