The Reg does 240/4

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Feb 15 15:13:55 UTC 2024

On Thu, Feb 15, 2024 at 3:08 AM Christopher Hawker <chris at thesysadmin.au> wrote:
> The idea to this is to allow new networks to emerge
> onto the internet, without potentially having to fork
> out substantial amounts of money.

Hi Chris,

I think that would be the worst possible use for 240/4. The last thing
new entrants need is IP address space with complex and quirky legacy
issues.

No-sale on the money issue too. I did a cost analysis years ago on the
money involved in "the rest of us" accepting a route announcement into
the DFZ. The short version is that if you can't afford IPv4 addresses
at the current market prices, you don't belong here. Your presence
with a /24 will collectively cost us more than you spent, just in the
first year.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--