The Reg does 240/4

Christopher Hawker chris at thesysadmin.au
Thu Feb 15 11:08:08 UTC 2024

Hi Christian,

The idea to this is to allow new networks to emerge onto the internet, without potentially having to fork out substantial amounts of money.

I am of the view that networks large enough to require more than a /8 v4 for a private network, would be in the position to move towards IPv6-only. Meta has already achieved this (https://engineering.fb.com/2017/01/17/production-engineering/legacy-support-on-ipv6-only-infra/) by rolling out dual-stack on their existing nodes and enabling new nodes as IPv6-only. I cannot think of a bigger waste of resources that have the possibility of being publicly used, than to allocate an additional 16 x /8 to RFC1918 space.

The same argument could be had about using larger than a /8 for private networking. Why not use IPv6?

Regards,
Christopher Hawker