The Reg does 240/4

Christopher Hawker chris at thesysadmin.au
Wed Feb 14 12:34:30 UTC 2024

Hi Denis,

It will only be burned through if RIR communities change policies to allow for larger delegations than what is currently in place. I believe that some level of change is possible whilst limiting the exhaustion rate, e.g. allowing for delegations up to a maximum holding of a /22, however we shouldn't go crazy (for want of a better phrase) and allow for delegations of a /20, /19 etc.

If this was only going to give us a potential 1-3 years' worth of space, then I would agree in saying that it is a waste of time, would take far too long to make the space usable and wouldn't be worth it. However, as long as we don't get greedy, change the maximum allowed delegation to large delegations, and every Tom/Dick/Harry applying for a /16 allocation then 240/4 will last us a lengthy amount of time, at least a few decades.

Regards,
Christopher Hawker