route: 0.0.0.0/32 in LEVEL3 IRR

Andrian Visnevschi andrian at acreto.io
Thu Feb 1 10:48:32 UTC 2024

It's unfortunate, but quite common. I've seen similar occurrences in
several companies I worked for previously. For instance, one of my former
employers utilized public IP addresses belonging to others for IPMI server
access, even though it was solely for management purposes and not
communicated to any peers internally. Consequently, none of the customers
could access these public IPs. The reason for this? When the company
initially acquired these IPs, they were part of a leased range. Upon
termination of the agreement, instead of changing all the IPs, they opted
to continue using them due to the perceived hassle. Similarly, another
service provider used IPs from its leased range for DNS servers. When the
agreement ended and IPs were reallocated, they persisted with the old IPs
because updating DNS server settings on customer CPEs lacked automation and
thought it was too much trouble.

Unfortunately, such examples are not uncommon, and certainly don't
represent best practices

*Andrian Visnevschi*