maximum ipv4 bgp prefix length of /24 ?

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Fri Sep 29 18:16:03 UTC 2023

On Fri, Sep 29, 2023 at 10:43 AM VOLKAN SALİH <volkan.salih.06 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> thanks for your response. Honestly thanks for everyones reponses.
>
> comunism is the future. IMO.
>
> tier-1 network count is decreasing. competition is always good. while
> monopoly, duopoly, triopoly is not.. I dream an earth with 1000 tier-1
> networks..
>
> capitalism give people more money than they can spend in their lifetime
> with their families, but it doesnt give people happiness and health..
>
> for example, if i were level3 or telia CEO or should I have been major
> stakeholder? I would like to see 50 or 1000 more tier-1 networks competing
> with us.
>
> Money is not everything. After some time capitalist bourgeois realize that
> they could not "earn" health or happiness and start spending their pennies
> to charities,

Volkan,

You make a good point here.   I asked you to come up with a win-win
scenario that would persuade the financial people at the top 100 networks
why they should spend money to upgrade their networks for you.

I hadn't considered the charity option.

If you can organize your work as a non-profit charity, you may find there
are entities that will sponsor the number resource needs of your non-profit
charity.
That would be one way to achieve what you're looking for without having to
make a revenue-based pitch to 100 different CFOs.

> because if we wouldnt believe heaven and hell and purgatory, what else we
> could believe? Should we believe that after death nothing left from the
> earth, we worked for nothing, we laughed for nothing, we cried for nothing,
> and we married for nothing?
>
> NOPE.
>
> Everyone is equal, in the god's/lord's/creator's vision. You need to work
> on comunism instead of capitalism..
>
> I do not care what CFO/CTO/CEO/CXO thinks! they are more miserable than
> me..! I am healthy and happy. They are not. They can not be. I just
> expressed my opinions, finalized them with a bad joke. ;D
>
> You can continue your feasibility reports, net profit margin , return of
> investment calculations, but the god doesnt care IMO, and you will not care
> after you are 70-80 years.old.

I think the CFO would be quite happy if god were to show up and explain the
cost-benefit analysis of performing the network upgrades you are asking for.

...not so much because of what it would mean for the company's quarterly
numbers, but what it would mean for them on the daytime television circuit.
I mean, you can't *buy* that level of publicity!

"Today on The Talk--the CFO that met god...and lived to tell about it!"

Heck, after a meeting like that, I'd just retire from finance, and rake in
the money from the talk show appearances.  ;)

On a slightly more serious note--communism doesn't work when it comes to
network upgrades.  *someone* has to buy the router upgrades, and Juniper
doesn't accept "the will of the people" as a valid form of payment.

Like it or not, money makes the (networking) world go around, and without
it, new hardware isn't just going to show up on your doorstep.

Now, if you want, we can have a more serious discussion about *why*
backbone routers cost so much, and why quadrupling the size of the
forwarding table really makes such a big impact on the cost of a router.
But to have that discussion, I'm afraid we're going to have to leave god
out of it, and instead invite Mssrs Newton, Bernoulli, and Euler to the
table to go into some serious math about air flow, heat transfer, and
thermodynamics.   ^_^;

Thanks!

Matt