Test Lab Best Practices

Brad Dreisbach bradd at us.ntt.net
Thu Sep 28 20:23:09 UTC 2023

On Thu, Sep 28, 2023 at 10:14:24AM -0400, Kenneth Vedder wrote:
>Hello NANOG,
>
>We have been struggling with firmware bugs from a specific router vendor. I
>am looking to set up a test lab of our core network and a few remote site
>routers.  Protocols would include SR-MPLS, ISIS, EVPN MPLS and L3VPN with a
>little OSPF sprinkled in. I'd be grateful for any tips or resources anyone
>has that might cover testing strategies and/or best practices.

if you are just testing control plane features the virtualized stuff works
well. i personally use vrnetlab.

if you are trying to test hw features and use actual hardware:
remote controlled power
optical cross connect boxes(calient/telescent)
if you are testing optical stuff with distance limitation something like a
timbercon spool
ixia/spirent

-b