SMTP-friendly VPS provider where I can also get a BGP feed

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Tue Sep 26 17:01:57 UTC 2023

One thing you should consider about running a "family" mail server (or any other IT services for friends and family): that you have a clearly documented path of management succession. A dear friend of mine passed away  last year and was running just such an email server. Nobody really knew how to get into it for maintenance, and a couple weeks after he passed. it crashed, and none of us knew precisely where it was physically located (on the end of a VPN tunnel, it tuns out). This took down email for 100 of his closest friends and family members for several weeks. We couldn't even unlock the domain,

Personally, this has spurred me to create much better documentation of  my own client services, and to involve a successor unlikely to be traveling with me 🙂

 -mel