TACACS+ server recommendations?

Mike Lewinski mlewinski at massivenetworks.com
Fri Sep 22 20:56:14 UTC 2023

> We are using Okta's RADIUS service for 2fa to network gear currently,
> but looking to switch to tacacs+ for many reasons. Would prefer to
> implement tacacs+ with two-factor if possible.

tac_plus-ng from https://www.pro-bono-publico.de/projects/tac_plus-ng.html has LDAP and PAM backends, among others, so I believe you can implement 2FA through them. I haven't implemented this yet but it's on my to-do list (and I'm also warily watching passkey developments and wondering how much effort I should put into something that likely won't be best practice in another year or two).

I see Marc Huber is also promoting/supporting tacacs+ extension for SSH public key auth

https://github.com/MarcJHuber/event-driven-servers/wiki/TACACS_PLUS---SSH-Public-Key-Authentication