Zayo woes

Richard Holbo holbor at sonss.net
Thu Sep 21 05:15:25 UTC 2023

Laughing out Loud, really, good views all...
Having been through this a few times.. and being one of those who is now
the one of the hated C level guys..
Much truth is spoken here.  EBITA and size are the issues IMHO in our
current system.
Having been the owner of a few "smallish" retail ISPs in the west.. I can
say with certainty that size is an issue.  in the world of today a
small/medium ISP can do OK, but can never access the funds or resources
necessary to actually be a long term survivor.  To that end we look at
sources of money that require us to sell a majority interest in our company
to make it to the next level, that and exhaustion from staying awake nights
wondering how to make next payroll because we spent a couple million on new
gear.
This money seeking then comes with an interview system where we court the
guys with money and they court us.. The outcome is always iffy.  You can
partner with money that has a good plan or one that sucks (done both).
Even if you get good money, you will suffer from culture issues.  Small
ISP's tend to focus on the people and the customers, the larger you get the
more important the money becomes (EBITA) which for a lot of the employees
is, well, hard.
But staying small in general = extinction so  you do what you do to keep
employees working (at least that's what I tell myself).
Good views all, and I totally agree with @Matthew Petach miracles
statement.. I'm no longer that guy, but I like to think I was in the past,
and I've got a bunch of them working for me now, so I try really hard to
appreciate it and to recognize that that is what is happening, I fight for
the money to do it as right as possible.. but I do depend on .... you
miracle workers.

/thanks
/rh